View Single Post
Old 06-15-22, 09:29 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Question about Thru Axle to QR adapters

Greetings, all. I have a 2017 Rove AL on which I am replacing the wheelset in order to go tubeless and switch to 11 speed 105 from 8 speed Claris. Most wheels on the market, of course, are TA. I found a good deal on a DT wheelset (470db rims, Spesh SCS hubs). My question is about making an adapter work for the rear hub, as I read this online about the SCS rear hubs:

"What is SCS? It is 130mm spacing road disc through axle. Say it with me "130mm Road Disc Through Axle". It is NOT, I repeat, NOT, 135mm spacing disc. It just so happens to MEASURE 135mm end cap to end cap, and that is a horrible coincidence that I blame Specialized for. Why couldn't they have gone to 136mm or 134mm and avoided the number one confusion around SCS? 135mm spacing is what any regular old disc quick release hub is. 130mm spacing is what any regular old road rim brake quick release hub is (nowadays). When bikes went to through axle, they needed some way to keep the wheel centered and "retained" in the drop outs while you fished your axle through, unlike QR where the little skinny nubs stick into the drop out (and actually EXCEED 135mm if you were to measure, 135mm is face to face of the interior of the drop outs). So, bike companies created a 3.5mm recess in the inside face of the drop out, and extended the end caps 3.5mm per side. Net net is 135mm inside clear space (OLD - over locknut dimension) just like on a quick release bike, but now your hub measures 142mm. Voila, 12x142mm spacing is what any regular old disc through axle hub is."

So... anyone out there who can corroborate this? Is it not possible to get a QR adapter that will work for this rear hub? Or would one "kinda work" for fit, but leave the chainline a mess? Would love to get your opinions.