View Single Post
Old 06-29-22, 10:12 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
My suggestion is to let someone with this kind of experience take a look. These people are often found in a LBS.

Chasing noises can be a time consuming effort if you can't narrow down the type of noise and when it happens (and when it doesn't). You'll get all kinds of maybes this or possibly that, or this is what my bike had going on type of replies here. But since we can't ride your bike we can only write a lot of words about what might be going on.

Noises are generally from two parts/pieces that contact each other having some movement between them. Look at the path of force between your feet and the tire's contact patch with the ground. You'll see many, many, parts that touch each other and anyone could be the source (this time). Sometimes the noise is from some less obvious source away from where one thinks they hear it. Like handle bars and stems, or seat and posts. Sometimes the fix is mere tightening a single clamp or fastener, sometimes the fix requires significant take apart and reassemble (with serviced or replaced parts).

I won't say that one shouldn't consider what the replies say, and one of them might really be the one answer, but knowing which one is the fix is the trick that we can't be sure of long distance. If you are going to do this yourself plan on a lot of efforts that don't fix the noise as you go down the list of possibilities.

Most bike shops will assess the problem for free or for very little cost. Sometimes this takes more time than a while you wait in the shop allows for (like test riding when the shop is open or busy with other customers. Andy