Old 11-24-15, 12:42 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallguy
Can someone help me out with getting started in the tandem world?

My gf soon to be wife and I are both avid cyclists and both race as well

She has expressed interest in getting a tandem and more time on bikes is great by me.

We both have higher end road and mountain bikes and enjoy the performance of quality components.

I saw some prices on a khs tandem for under 2k and it looks decent and possibility entry level ?

We met a couple with a cannondale that looked very nice and I believe they are about double.

Before you buy anything, even used......

Borrow one to try out.

There are places that rent them.

Seriously: I picked up a nice used tandem bike a few winters ago and got it all ready to ride for the warm weather.
Although it was a good fit for both of us in terms of frame size my wife rode on it with me one time and said that she preferred the feeling of being in control of her own bike better.

She has some great bikes and simply preferred riding solo on any one of them to riding with me on the tandem.

I continued to ride it by myself from time to time over the balance of the summer because it fit me so well and I liked it so much, but she never got onto it again. I also have no end of alternatives so now it just hangs in the garage.

Binky