3dvvitch 
Junior Wingnut

Bikes: 1988 Litespeed, some Lemond, Slingshot 650c, blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 16 Posts
1988/89 Litespeed Titanium

Here it is, my unnecessary pandemic purchase. A 1988 (or possibly '89) Litespeed "Titanium". As far as I'm aware, this is the first Litespeed branded bicycle, which was superseded in 1990 by the "Road" model.

Non-drive side internal cable routing and shifter pod

Everything on these very early bikes is pretty rough. There are hand-filing marks everywhere, and it was likely also hand-polished.

The only documentation I've been able to find on this model is in the May 1988 Bicycle Guide. They built their test model with six-speed 600 SIS, with the most fancy feature being the wheels laced with Litespeed ti spokes. The review of the bike was overall positive (rough aesthetic details notwithstanding), and suggested that the sloping top tube wasn't aggressive enough to prevent leisurely, all-day rides (ah the 80s). There are a few differences between the BG test bike and my frame: the BG bike's dropouts are not drilled with lightening holes and it lacks a pump peg.
I can upload more pictures if anyone is interested in details. Dave Levy at Ti Cycles had plenty to say about the frame, mostly about how close to a working prototype it appeared to be. The left and right dropouts were cut from different pieces of Ti plate and are different widths, for example. I had Dave check out the frame to make sure it didn't have any hair-line cracks and had the alignment straightened for good measure as well.

I'd like to outfit the frame with the correct Vitus 979 fork so tomorrow I'm going to go take a look at a cheap Vitus posted nearby. Looks like the steer tube will be too long since the Vitus is a 56cm with standard geometry while mine has a short head tube on top of being a 53/54, so I will likely have to have it threaded down and cut, unless that's considered too sacrilegious, in which case I can try to trade it for a properly sized fork.

As for the rest of the build, I'd like to go with something fancy and (mostly) period-correct, so either 6 or 7 speed 126mm stuff. Either Dura Ace or Superbe Pro would be fun. I'm not exactly sure what to do about the shifter pod though, since most everything I've been able to find has standard concave shifter washers meant for down tube placement. I've heard that Shimano made flat shifter mount plates for this purpose, but I can't find any. If I was rich I'd go with a Mavic SSC build and use the composite 821 shifters with flat mount surfaces... What do folks think?

Last edited by 3dvvitch; 04-18-21 at 07:28 PM.