kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Pulse_
Thanks, I forgot to mention I have 2 bikes. Generally I use an other bike which is equipped with disc brakes when it rains and the Trek (rim brakes) when the weather is fine. I live in Belgium so the weather can change very quickly but it doesn't really matter I would rarely start my ride with the Trek + fenders.

Concerning speed and rolling resistance are the 25 and 28 equivalent?
I think the consensus view is that there's no significant difference in rolling resistance or speed between 25 and 28 with the same quality tire. The pro teams still run mostly 25's so I assume there's some benefit to the narrower tire. Acceleration maybe? I don't know. All the teams have disk brakes, so there's no reason for them not to run wider tires if there was no downside.

For me it comes down to feel. Most of my training rides are 50-100k on pretty good suburban roads and include some hard efforts, so I prefer the feel of narrower tires for that kind of riding. At 150-200k I might run a wider tire or I might not. A solo 150k would almost certainly be on 25's, but I might go much wider on a casual club 200k. There's no one right answer all the time. I say try the 28's. You can always go back to 25's if you like them better. Tires don't last forever so you can try a few different ones out. FWIW I've never seen any reason to try latex tubes.