View Single Post
Old 11-15-21, 12:37 PM
JVME

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
OP your youth is calling you! I woke up one day and despite having a nice road bike I just craved to have a old school BMX again. That was 5 years and I'm still riding my BMX!. A couple of miles on a BMX is really is nothing, and I can keep it tucked away safe in my office. Since getting back into BMX I've owned both vintage, mid school, and modern. I can tell you that if you want a bike to cruise around and actually sit on. The old vintage 1980's BMX bikes are the best. But with 80's BMX some have a really short top tubes so you will want one that's at least 18.5". Modern BMX's are a lot more stronger and more robust. But the seating position simply sucks (At least for me). I've gotten the "S&M long Johnson" which is like a 12" seat post and it still wasn't comfortable. But modern BMX bikes were not designed for long seat posts. They were designed to have the seat as low as possible to maximize height on jumps.

What bike did you have as a kid OP? I would start looking there.
Thanks for the info. I ended up getting a Cult Crew Devotion. 21" TT with a 13.5" CS. It definitely sits lower than the Huffy BMX I had when I was a kid. I don't really recall much about the size of that bike, it was just what we could find and I could afford at the time with my mom's help. So it was probably from Kmart or the cheapest BMX at our LBS back then.

I definitely enjoy riding this a lot more than the road bike or any of the bigger bikes I've had. I mounted my C17 Brooks saddle to a 15" seat tube and that's fine for longer rides. Honestly I've mostly used the stock short tube and stock seat which have been fine for rides of 3-4 miles I've been doing so far. I don't mind standing at all. and can sit enough to coast even with the stock seat slammed down.

So now I'm working on learning to manual and hop. (below is a pic of it after I looped out without getting my feet under me so I landed hard. It felt good to fall. It did not feet good to get back up. )

This bike is so much more versatile than the road bike was and hills etc. are no problem at all. The leg workout is actually better I think and my running PT says it will probably be better for upper leg muscle resistance and leg strength than being seated and hunched over.

Yesterday one of my neighbors called me "Tony Hawk" and I laughed because I do not see myself getting a video game franchise any time soon.

Long live BMX!
Likes For JVME: