View Single Post
Old 12-01-21, 01:48 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 240 Posts
I finally made it all the way through Estabrook Woods from Concord to Carlisle today. My previous attempts, back in the summer, were thwarted by mud or mosquitos or both. By contrast, today was a wonderful late fall day: dry, cool but not bone-chilling cold, with a moody cloudy sky.

I started out by taking the MM to the Bedford Depot, the Reformatory Trail to Monument St, then up and over the North Bridge to pick up Concord's paved section of Estabrook Road. The North Bridge:

Estabrook Woods was the driest I have seen it. There's the section of the trail that is basically a stream bed. Today there was just a little water, with a skin of ice. I was on the lookout for the wooden teepee that so many others have posted photos of. A bit further north I was very happy to finally see it with my own eyes:

A little more woods riding brought me to Carlisle's paved section of Estabrook Road. A woman on horseback was just about to enter the woods there, so I said hello. I think she was inclined to look askance at bikers, but I was so gushing with enthusiasm that I think I won her over!

I made my way to Fern's via School St:

From there I took 225 east to Bedford Center and the Depot. It was 9.5 miles from the Depot to Ferns via the Reformatory Trail and Estabrook Woods. A little over 5 from Ferns to the Depot on 225. I made my way home on the MM for a total just shy of 34 miles.

A very enjoyable ride and a sense of accomplishment.
Likes For bike_tom: