View Single Post
Old 12-04-21, 06:12 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulette
It's hard to guarantee that I will finish a century a month, but I certainly intend to. This thread should provide good motivation to follow through.
The above was January 2020. Now in December, I have ridden at least one century in each of the past 24 months. In some of the those months, I had viewed the century ride more as a chore, just something that needed to be done before moving onto 'better' things. Last month, Das Hugel was a refreshing change, but few of us (and certainly not I) can aim for such lofty goals every single month. This month was a complete and welcome reversal. Rather than go it alone, offering myself some mediocre reward (such as a donut or pastry), I crafted an approachable route with just 3,000 feet of elevation (about the least you can get around here), with very little traffic, and with reasonably planned breaks; I double-checked the weather, estimated a modest 8-hour pace, and then... I posted the route and invited along the local Cycling Friends group (this may seem trivial, but please understand, I readily admit to being an introvert).

At 7:30 in the morning, four of us were gathered at the local 'spot', where a hundred or more rides have started before. We started off lazily, by design, meandering north through town and just as slowly out of it. We enjoyed a tailwind, but did not push it. We stopped at just 12 miles for a bathroom (but we were, at the least, quick about it). Somewhere in the interim, four became five. Then, we stopped again around mile 25 -- we were headed into the more remote part of the ride, with nearly 25 more miles to the next town. Spirits were high, and the weather was fantastic for December -- hovering around 65°F with a welcome cloud cover.

We knew we were on a good route at this point, as we passed (and were passed by) various Austin city cycling groups; we were just a few miles from the city (and it could be seen over the horizon through the humid hazy morning). There were horses and cattle abound; the pleasant, social pace allowed me to really appreciate the views in every direction as we enjoyed the downs and relaxed on the ups. Before long, we crossed Highway 21 and joined Farm-to-Market 2001 towards Lockhart, our lunch stop -- a road sign assured us it was only 10 miles, and perhaps the pace increased just a bit (or maybe it was just the headwind that forced out a bit of an effort).

At 50 miles, one of our four was just about to their own personal, longest ride. It was a important moment, and a decision: home was just 20 easy miles away, the century route promised 30 more miles and a lot more hills. There was no hesitation -- we were all in for the haul. We stopped at the grocer to resupply and to rustle up a cold lunch. We stretched, we sat, we ate, and then we pushed on.

Just 12 more miles on and we stopped again for another quick break (and to be fair, it was the last outpost before home, at around mile 62). Even with the stops, we were still on schedule. Then we departed for my favorite section, the pecan farms, the crossing of the San Marcos River, and the slow climb to the top of the ridges at Kingsbury. Along the way, another of our five riders surpassed their own personal record -- two folks were now working towards their first centuries. At this point, we were entering more familiar territories once again, and it must have provided a bit of 'home-turf' advantage, because the pace never dropped. We kept the cruise on, from mile 70, right on to mile 80, and even 90.

Around mile 95, we realized we would need to add an extra loop to reach 100 -- it is a mental drain for most, I think, to realize that 'home' is just over yonder, but to turn back into the wind, back up the hill, and to add that extra little bit. Of course it was all worth it in the end, and of course we all managed our own centuries -- but together. Many of my centuries over the last few months were forgettable, if not for the journals I have kept here, but this century -- it was not just another 'century-a-month'. And it was doubly impressive -- because for me, this has become somewhat routine, but for those two, it was a groundbreaking personal achievement.

I'm glad to have made that post, and to have invited my friends along. I'm glad I was able to be a part of their accomplishment, even though it was not my own.

See you in 2022.
Likes For Bulette: