Old 01-07-22, 01:11 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
"Well spoken, Bruce!"

Locks, bells and fenders are also quite handy. Kickstand I could care less about but everything is handy. Though I do find the kickstand on my e-bike handy but that is heavy (on purpose not just a crappy bike) so leaning it is not easy and my lock is a touch longer to accommodate using a kickstand and with the wheel lock as well it is a tough nut to crack.
Bells (or horns or other audible warning device) are legally required for bikes ridden on the road in my province. Occasionally some town or city would do a 'safety blitz' and start giving out tickets to cyclists without bells, among other infractions. Simple 'ping' bells were like $5, and the fine for not having a bell added up to over $100.

I was once a purist as well, like those who only appreciate a bike not in its bare stripped down 'race' form, without bells or lights or fenders. THe more non-race oriented riding I did the more I warmed up to having fenders and a bell. I still dislike kickstands, but there have certainly been a few occasions on tour where one would have been handy.

I started trying to sell lights and fenders and locks for customers' new bikes long before I was comfortable with the aesthetics of a bike festooned with accessories - they are practical and can help people enjoy their new bikes, but in reality, accessories generally have a much higher profit margin than the bike itself and that was my primary motivation for suggesting.

Last edited by ClydeClydeson; 01-07-22 at 04:54 PM.
Likes For ClydeClydeson: