View Single Post
Old 01-12-22, 01:25 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm confused, it's a quill stem with a removable faceplate?

I'm not sure I would put that on an airplane as shown, it's pretty easy to bend the crap out of a head tube. Much to my chagrin.
Yes, a quill stem with a removable faceplate.

Sorry about your head tube. I can only say that I have had a 100% success rate in shipping my bike that way by plane. That is, I did it once, and it arrived undamaged.

But before trying it, I read a long online discussion about the plastic-bag-on-an-airline method of shipping, which seems to be pretty widely used. It was interesting. There were some informed comments from a couple of people who actually worked as airline baggage handlers.

The consensus seemed to be that no matter how you pack it (unless it's in some kind of a hard case, which is a logistical nightmare on a point-to-point tour), shipping a bike is always a little bit of a crap shoot. If a bike is packed in a cardboard bike box, it's probably going to end up lying flat on the bottom of a cart with a bunch of suitcases, etc., piled on top of it. A cardboard box is no guarantee of an intact bike.

A bike in an oddly-shaped plastic bag, on the other hand, can't go on the bottom of a cart. It more or less has to go on top, where (one hopes) it's less likely to get crushed. Also, as one of the airline baggage handlers noted, the people who work for the airlines don't want to smash stuff--it's just that they have to work fast and make quick decisions about what goes where. If they can see through the plastic bag that there's a bike inside, they will do what they can to go easy on it.

Basically, you pay your money and you take your choice. Anytime you go on a tour, there's a chance that your bike is going to get smashed or crashed or stolen somewhere along the way. The only way to be sure that won't happen is to stay home.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 01-12-22 at 01:32 PM.
Likes For jonwvara: