View Single Post
Old 01-13-22, 07:59 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I thought Delta charged more than $75 before they dropped the oversize fees for bikes, I was assuming it was Southwest at that price. But I could be wrong on Delta fees since I only checked my S&S bike with them, I was only curious how much I was saving at the time by avoiding the oversize fee.
This was in March of 2019. As I recall, when I plunked the packed-up bike onto the airline scale (that's it on the scale in the photo above) the woman initially mentioned a much higher price when I admitted that it was a bike--$150, I think. I had expected as much. But then she looked at her rate sheet or something and said, in a surprised voice, "Whoa! I guess it's only going to be $75."

You can believe that I did not demand an explanation. I just said, okay, that sounds good to me. Not sure what the situation is now--that's the one time I flew with a bike.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash