View Single Post
Old 01-13-22, 02:48 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
What did you do with the stuff that had been in the panniers?
The bike went in a box, stuff that had been in panniers got checked in another bag or as a carry one. Amtrak also has a 50 pound limit, so you can't pack that much stuff in the box with the bike. I just found it easier to pack fewer panniers in the duffle that was checked, thus put two empty panniers on the bike, that also was done to cushion the bike some so it did not rattle around in the box as much.

The photo below is from a different trip, we got off the train in Portland OR, took a bus to Astoria, photo was while waiting for the bus at the Portland Amtrak station. The black duffle with red ends was my carry on, the duffle with blue ends under it was my checked bag. Those two duffles then lived in the bottom of one of my panniers for about six weeks before they were re-used to ride another train home. The other bags were my touring partner's.

Both of those Amtrak trips were before the new roll on roll off option. When I took those trips the only option was to box up your bikes. But now on most routes, Amtrak has bike racks in a luggage car, you can reserve a spot in the rack and avoid boxing it.