View Single Post
Old 01-15-22, 05:52 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Knees are complicated. There are many causes for this sort of thing. I encourage you to not pedal so pronated. Our knees aren't designed for that. Try to pedal with your toes pointed almost straight ahead, say no more than 5° of pronation. That'll take some practice/training because you've done it the other way for so long and sure enough, now you see the result. Could take 6 months of retraining. I also encourage you to supplement with off-the-bike exercise and stretching. The stretches I do every morning are here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post15372967 They help.

There's also a series of fix-your-knees videos on YT by the "kneesovertoesguy." I do a few of his exercises, very helpful. I walk up stairs backwards for 10 minutes (up and then down), do 3X25 reps of tibialis raises, and his split squats. That's been helpful for when my legs get out of balance. If you do the backwards walking, point your toes straight ahead, same with toe raises and split squats. It's therapy. You can search YT for the above terms.
Thanks. I put flats on the trainer today and didn't have the problem. Outdoors I always ride flats on a Shimano XT groupset. I think the wider q-factor helped me there...175mm. On the trainer, the q-factor is 150mm. I think that's part of the problem. I nudged by feet about 15mm off-center on the wide flat pedal today, and I had no knee issue. I'm going to purchase a pedal extenders. and see how it goes.

I can appreciate the idea of doing some off-the-bike training to work other muscles....I think it's generally a good idea, as one can develop muscle imbalances anywhere...even the upper body. Cycling is a pretty artificial activity, unlike walking, i think it promotes imbalances.
Likes For Wattsup: