Old 01-17-22, 08:23 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Thanks for posting. I was unaware of such batteries. Did some internet searches and found that yes they are out there. Some on Amazon needed their own proprietary charger but one brand had what looked like a micro USB jack for charging each battery without a separate charger.

Since you are using these, do you find much warning before you run out of power? With disposable or NiMH AAA batteries in my taillight, it gets dim as a warning that the batteries are getting low. But if the Lithium ones provide full power until they shut off, I would be hesitant to use for a taillight where I might not be aware that I no longer had a light on.

Touring, I charge up my taillight batteries once a week, I do not wait for them to get dim. But for my many bikes that I use for riding around near home I do not keep track of how many hours of use I have on each taillight, I wait for them to get dimmer.

So, could you elaborate on whether or not there is any warning before the batteries stop functioning, and if so, what is that warning like?

Thanks.
There is a bit of warning when you use them on motorized devices, such as a toothbrush. However, I doubt you can easily perceive the subtle decline on a taillight.

From the choices, there is one type, Pallus/Kratax/Hixon, that can be charged by connecting them to anything from 3V to 5.5V, i.e., they can be charged straight from USB. However, you do not have suitable connectors around for the task. I found those with USB micro sockets to be most practical, as you always have the corresponding cables around anyway. In AA size, the Vapcell seem to be the best in the on-line tests. In AAA, Powenergy have worked fine for me. The real capacity is usually 10-15% below that claimed for the different batteries in this type.