3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
First off this assumes that you have the bead pushed into the middle of the rim. That point is the smallest rim diameter and gives you the most slack.

When you get to the last 7-8 inches to get on the rim, you can't go at it in the middle. It's just too tight.
So you have to start at one end. Problem is, as fast as you lever one end on to the rim, the other end slips off and moves around the rim.

Take some parachute cord and bind the left side of the last 8 inches to the rim. This will stop it running away around the rim.
Then lever the right side of the last 8 inches onto the rim.

My 5000's are so tight, I carry parachute cord in my saddle bag for this purpose.

Barry
...FWIW, there is a way to use the fact that the valve stem locks the beads in place, when you have that portion of the tyre mounted, to do this same thing. Try it, and it will probably work for you, Doesn't work on wide rims, but it works fine on most road rims. If you need to push the valve stem of the tube up, to allow the beads to fully seat, it will work. In case you find yourself without any cord some day.