Old 12-04-20, 04:19 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I'm no roadie, but when I read this thread title, I thought about my experience with mountain biking. dropping your heels on bumpy, bouncy, momentum-killing is a great idea because it helps drive your body weight into the pedals as obstacles on the ground continually push back. If you're clipped in, this can save your calves a lot of strain. If you're riding flat pedals, it is essential to keeping your feet on the pedals and, therefore, your face out of the dirt.

On the road, I would think it would help lower your CoG. that's helpful in some situation. more importantly, it would save your calves from strain. there's probably a middle ground where it's useful in some situations, just like standing/ sitting, spinning mashing, and using different parts of your handlebar are the best depending on the situation.
Yes, it definitely relieves my calves of strain when I drop my heels. But I wish that I didn’t have to think about doing it to do it. I think that riders that drop their heels more naturally have more developed calf muscles. I’m hoping 2021 comes with more riding for me and more training miles. Hoping to double what I did this year. I know I said that I have a bike fit and feel comfortable but I also think I need shorter cranks.