Old 09-28-21, 05:20 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 563 Posts
I didn't answer because the question seemed a little muddy to me. First there were two different questions, the one in the title that seemed to address flat bars and the one in the actual survey that was only addressing the component group level. It doesn't say what kind of tour for the flat bars. Off road? Pavement only? Given the type of tour and the surfaces involved may affect whether someone would want flat bars or not.

Then there was the use of the word "choose". That seems to imply that I have a choice of something else. Those cheap components are actually pretty functional and would do fine on a tour. That said, there is that word choose. If there are two bikes one with cheap components and one with expensive ones I'll pick the nicer ones unless I am paying for it and the budget is tight enough to steer me to the cheaper option.

If the question was trying to ask, "Is Altus or Acera good enough to tour with?". Then my answer would be yes, but long term durability and some smoothness of operation may suffer a little. Overall it would probably do surprisingly well though.