Old 02-28-24, 07:59 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 799 Posts
Originally Posted by mams99
What's on there is what came with the bike (bought secondhand). I'll try to find a photo of it. Per rec of here (for limestone trails) I was encouraged to get something different, so I bought these tires. I haven't put them on yet because I'm lazy (and I don't have a bike repair stand yet to make it an easier job - yes, I know how to change tires/tubes). I was suggested to get Schwabe Big Ben tires (but I just realized now I got the wrong Size!!!!! - I went back and looked at my order and I ordered 28s for my 29er bike! ACK!)

That would be a PITA to change the tube and tire every time I switch terrain... I suppose I could look into buying a new whole set of tires? (Afraid to look at how much that will cost me - but it's less than a whole new bike (And I suppose I could look secondhand).

Ok... the Surly Ogre as I bought it - (Size small):

my photo from this fall
tire talk can get pretty individual, but I can say from experience that a lighter, good rolling tire can make a noticeable difference to how a bike feels riding.
The light, slick 42mm tires I have on my troll for "road touring" rolls along really nicely, but I have toured on that bike with 45-50mm slicks, and also with 2.1 inch cross country mountain bike tires similar to yours because I was doing an off road trip. Not great on pavement but ok given the compromise.

I have toured and ridden on narrow tires, 28mm, on all kinds of surfaces, so riding on dirt roads and trails with 40mm ish wide tires, even slicks , is perfectly fine for me. On rougher roads and or looser dirt surfaces, wider tires are more comfortable and more secure (if you don't overdo the tire pressures), but there are a million kinds of tires and riding on dirt is usually ok unless its very loose, and that usually is a very small percentage of the time in the big picture.
I also ride in the snow a lot, and rode motorcycles, so a bit of sliding doesnt bother me.

and yes, many of us have tried lots of tires, but at least the internet can give fairly reliable views on a given tire, although lets face it, everyone has an opinion so it can be hard to know what to take with a grain of salt....

re your Jones bars, I have a set that I use on my commuter and my fatbike, and I really like them. I also use ergon grips like you have.
I would suggest following the Jones recommendations and slightly angling them downwards a bit (look at his website). Also try experimenting with slight angle differences with the grips, I like mine slightly downturned as well--basically I find this evens out the pressure points on my palms. I also have ergon grips on my winter bike that I commute on, and I do the same slight downwards angle on that bike also, even though it has a more regular mountain bike handlebar.
You'd be surprised how tiny bar and grip angle changes can be more comfortable--yours stood out to me as being too level, especially the bars.
Doing a relaxed ride with the allen keys nearby to make small changes is a good way to just "feel out" what works best, and going too far in adjustment is ok too, you'll feel right away what doesnt feel good and what feels better.

and again, all this techno blah blah still is only so important, and riding and riding and riding, gradually increasing the distances, putting the miles in your legs, is the only way to be able to do 40 or 50 or 60 miles in a day.

Oh, I would remove that heavy front rack, its just weight you are lugging around for no reason if its not being used.

and most importantly, all the best with the parent thing. This is nothing to sneeze at and most people have no idea how much of a burden this is.
cheers