Old 07-14-22, 07:19 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I think I am fairly likely to go that way if I do buy a gravel bike. I do feel like I miss out on the feeling of indulging myself with a really nice bike though.

I am a weight weenie when it comes to my gear, sweating the ounces or even fractional ounces. The thing is that for some reason I never got that obsessive about worrying about the ounces on the bike itself other than maybe in the tires (and tubes if any) and to a lesser extent wheels. I think that is because much of the gear weight reduction is done by leaving stuff home and the rest was done mostly without buying too much super expensive gear. I managed to get the weight way down with no cuben fiber and not much super high tech stuff.

FWIW, the worry that a cf frame would "assplode" isn't something that would keep me awake at night.
wheels and tires is where it's at. rotating mass is what saps the greatest energy to move.

so don't indulge by buying an unecessary crabon frame, put your bucks to use with a new lightweight high-quality bike-a-packin' bag system, or maybe that upgraded gps unit you've been droolin' over.