Thread: Your First Tour
View Single Post
Old 06-24-22, 10:32 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 261 Posts
First "tour" was just a day trip to the town on the other side of the Oquirrh Mountains, Tooele, Utah from West Valley, Utah. Probably the summer of 1989. This was the summer before my senior year in high school. My pal Mike and I had bought sweet new mountain bikes and decided it would be a good idea to ride through Magna, the town that supported the Kennecott Copper open pit mine, around the point of the mountain alongside the Great Salt Lake, and into Tooele. We didn't plan a route, and eventually discovered that the only way through was along I-80, an unnerving proposition. All went well, however, and our arrival in Tooele, surprisingly, went unheralded by the local citizenry. Some of my most vivid memories of the day include riding bare chested along the interstate on the way home, and stopping on the way home for a nap on a church lawn in Magna. I'll also never forget the searing sunburns Mike and I suffered on our previously lily-white bare backs. He got it worse than me, though, with his whole back blistering and weeping and peeling for days. I only got the sunburn but no blisters. I recall his sister (whom I kind of had a crush on) peeling sheets of dead skin off our backs....