View Single Post
Old 09-07-23, 07:49 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by HectorStorm
People for the most part just seems to hate bicycles and cyclists...if you're on a bike, you are fair game to be bullied and yelled/honked at.
I started cycling in a busy city grid at 15yo and continued into my 60s. In the early years I owned cars and motorcycles but preferred cycling because I basically never had to stop (even at red lights and stop signs) and no traffic jam was ever going to slow me down much. I guess I "hardened up" to the mean old motorists but mostly letting out a devilish laugh time and again as I left those trapped, idling heaps in my dust. I guess in those years when I had motor vehicles at hand that I realized the nobody was MAKING me ride my bike into "harms way". The choice was mine. So pretty quickly I started taking all the motorist's BS in stride to the point that two minutes after any confrontation I just forgot about it. I learned how to ride to minimize cars overtaking me and was never too proud to bail to some quiet side streets when my nerves got frazzled.

I guess the key to happiness while cycling around traffic boils down to EXPECTATIONS. When I push off on my bike my expectations are very low - I fully EXPECT to be disrespected by mean people and overlooked by distracted drivers. If I were to roll out with expectations that motorists should do what they are SUPPOSED to do, along with being alert, respectful and nice, I would be a miserable SOB or just DEAD by now.

Yes, I am "fair game" by my own choice. I alter my routes and techniques to suit the situation but also chose NOT TO RIDE at certain times and places. I'm certain this eliminates a lot of potential angst aimed at me.