Old 01-28-22, 02:53 PM
Morimorimori

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A bit unorthodox choice of carbo source for long runs?

Hi. As I'm aiming to increase my rides' distances radically, up to 600km, I've been thinking hard on how to proper fuel myself during them. My aim will be to achieve the maximum average speed possible while staying in endurance pulse zone (125-130bpm on average for me). I need this to achieve my another goal I mentioned in another topic - to gain as much spare time as possible to be able to sleep 7-8 hours at night.

Typical recommendation for achieving maximum performance is to consume about 60g of carbs per hours of your ride. So I was wondering what will be an optimal source of these carbs. Energy gels are out of question - a bit too costy for me, and limiting food intake to them doesn't work for me, I only rely on them as on my last resort. In our state there aren't that much places where you could eat something healthy away from major cities, so can't rely on restaurants either. In a typical small grocery shop you can meet around you won't find too much slow carb sources either. Or it will be something you have to spend a lot of time chewing on to get your desired 60g carbs per hour. Whatever option I see, there is huge downside to it. Even if it's good, it availability isn't guaranteed away from big cities etc.

Then I thought - what if I just use mass gainer I already have piled on for my gym sessions? That's basically a bit of proteins plus a lot of carbs, and it's usually slow or medium burning carbs to fuel you exercising for an hour. Even better - while in powder form, it weights nothing, it doesn't rot, it can't be "cooked" in a couple of minutes in a water bottle, you just need to pour in some water (even cold one will do) - and it takes just a minute to consume it and clean the bottle, and you are ready to go. That does seem like really solid option for times when you just don't have a better food source rich on carbs available.

Has anybody had any experience with using food supplements for this purpose?