Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I'm doing something wrong, can you help me. I cannot imagine dissolving 2 cups of malto/whey into 1 liter. I use less but still it clumps. Maybe because I bought cheap big bag of Malto from a brewer? Are there different qualities? A stirrer?

What I have done is dissolve as much as I can of a similar mix in hot water and then cool. This is more of a fuel bottle than a water bottle. For in my bottle, I dose it out in old vitamin bottles with narrow mouths. I had bad luck with baggies.

This is for OP: On 2019 PBP, I expended 19,000 kj on the ride per my power meter. This is about 19,000 calories or 25 calories per mile. My basal metabolic rate is 1900 calories per day. So, I burned a total of 25,000 calories over 75 hours with about 52 hours moving time. A rider who uses 70% fat vs 30% fat for caloric needs is an easy calculation. One rider would easily replace glycogen by eating diligently, the other will likley suffer eventually. This is one reason pacing and eating something consistently is so critical. Or, stop and eat a big meal and let it digest....sort of what I did in 2019. I have no idea of my caloric intake in 2019, I just ate at cafes, bakeries, and 6 times at controls and did not carry food....just mostly water on the bike...tourist style. In 2015, I consumed about 7500-9500 calories over 54 hours. I do not have my power file anymore but seem to recall total expenditure of 29,000 calories. I lost 5 pounds of fat on the ride (skin fold verified and it was very obvious to the eye and scale) and I was dragging on the return and for a variety of reasons did not have enough food. Don't be that guy. Again, for the OP. Getting your eating and drinking and pooping down is a very important thing at the longer distances. Don't be afraid to experiment. I often read that PBP riders burn 35-40,000 calories on the ride but my power meters say otherwise. Overeating can be as bad as undereating. You have to learn your requirements the hardway. That and keeping warm in the cool, damp night will go a long way toward finishing it
I also buy my malto from a homebrew house, 50# bags. To mix, I put a couple inches of water in the bottom of a bottle, add the malto mix then water until the bottle is almost full. Then I shake the bottle100 times, fill it the rest of the way and shake some again. There remain small lumps which don't seem to be a problem. I usually eat something at a control or rest stop and won't need my sip of carbs for maybe 45'. The lumps seem to have mostly dissolved by then.

The difference might be that I have the whey protein thoroughly mixed into the malto before I put it in the bottle. I find that the mild flavor of this mix, basically like chocolate flavored rice water, never wears out my mouth like sweet energy drinks do. I haven't had a problem with the double closure Ziplock bags with only 1 cup of powder in each. I'm careful to squeeze the air out before sealing. We take a lot of dry powdery foodstuffs with us when we go on long backpacks. Even crammed into the bottom of a pack, never a problem. My secret for never a tummy problem is that I never take more than a few swallows at any one time, just a slow steady carb drip, so no sugar rushes or drop-outs.