Old 02-02-22, 08:33 AM
Morimorimori

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You have to figure out what fuels you best. My advice, less is often more. I don't know your age, weight or max HR but I would expect a high percentage of your energy requirements to come from fat at 12r bpm HR. 40 grams per hour might be too much or it could be too little. I would start at the lower end of calories per hour and see how it goes. ALWAYS bring emergency food to be reserved if you bonk.
"Less" most definitely doesn't suite my case I tried to eat less before, and it created issues (bonk-kind of issues) on regular basis. That's of course is attributed to my riding stile, as I prefer to ride more dynamically, and such tempo requires carbs to sustain. Moreover, I'm aiming to achieve at least 27kph of average speed on distances of 300 to 600 km - so slowing down won't do for me

As I mentioned in my previous post, if I eat a massive breakfast (up to 1000kcal), and drink from a bottle of sweet isotonic from time to time, I can cover about 100km before I'll feel bonked and will have to eat something - when I'm riding at this tempo.

When I do a 400K or shorter, it is mostly liquid and a couple bars. I'll have a coke and potato chips sometimes later in the ride or believe it or not, chocolate milk. I was doing a long brevet once with a MD researcher and we both came out of the control with milk, leading to an interesting discussion about on the bike nutrition. Milk does not bother me at all.
Milk is out of question, my stomach can't stand it unfortunately...

Be careful with some whey and protein powders. If you keep them in the bottle too long and they get warm, they ferment and you get the runs.
Noted, though I don't see why I should do that. My plan is to carry them in powder form, and prepare the mixture right before I'll consume it.

I often just use cheapo maltodextrin (50 pound bag for $60) but it clumps and is hard to mix. There are some better ones that are more expensive, I forget the name
I already have a stockpile of gainer for my gym sessions, so I'll just use it for the coming season, I bought more than enough. If it works, I may invest more time into researching what other options are available.

Thanks for all the tips, really appreciated!

Last edited by Morimorimori; 02-02-22 at 08:36 AM.