Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by 9606
In a previous post I asked about rando luggage. It dawns on me that a lot depends on how one is planning to ride PBP. And whether or not one will use a drop bag service.
At this point I am not interested in the 'spirit' of PBP, I am not into re-enactments, Civil War or any other type. I just want to finish my first PBP in under 84h.
Non-riding time can take up a considerable portion of PBP. Being self-supported may allow more freedom in choosing sleep stops and eliminates the need to find the bag drop and return it. (I understand one need not sleep at a bag drop station.)
Two or three basic cycling kits, some toilet articles, chamois cream, a sleeping bag liner, an inflatable pillow, and some food may be all that I would put into the drop bag. Foul weather clothing would be with me
If I eliminate the bag drop service my luggage volume requirements go up a bit, but it seems to me not by much. And I get more flexibility.
For those who have done PBP, or a 1200k whose logistics are similar, what are your thoughts on drop bag service vs more self supported?
Just curious ... have you started randonneuring yet? I ask because I almost get the impression you think the 1200K is a tour. I also ask because a lot of these details will sort themselves out as you get into the longer distances.