Thread: 1973 Gitane TDF
View Single Post
Old 03-02-21, 09:11 PM
NOLA Sekai 4K 

Bikes: '73 Gitane Tour de France; '79 Peugeot PKN-10 Competition; '78 Sekai 4000 Pro; '72 Gitane TDF; '72 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts
Great Gitane...hope it fits you and that you plan to ride/love her! I know because I bought my 1973 Gold Gitane TDF two years ago, and was concerned right off the bat with touch-up with the correct color, using nail polish. And preserving the Reynolds stickers. I used clear-coat nail polish on the stickers, and they're no longer peeling off. Got a new set of Reynolds stickers from Cyclomondo, along with a couple of replacement foil decals (full set pending). Both are identical to the originals.

Here's what I finally found that serves the purpose: COVERGIRL "Outlast" Nail Polish in "SULFER BLAZE".

It's a spot-on match color-wise, with one minor drawback - it has Glitter.

But it's fantastic for nicks, dings, etc...ever "nickel-sized" splotches. From 4 feet away you don't notice the glitter.

If you Google "Covergirl Sulfer Blaze", you'll find numerous sources for sale for around $3-$4 a bottle. It's not a current color you'll find in stores...I happened across it by chance a couple of years ago in a Dollar Store.

I understand Verktyg once had a Gold Gitane (Super Corsa), and I've been meaning to ask him or whoever else knows...what's with the Gold? Was it a 1-2 yr, limited color that happened to make it's way into Mel Pinto's stable? Gold isn't listed as an option on any catalogs I've seen.

Anyway, if you'd like further info on hangers, headset, Sugino crankset upgrade, etc., feel free to contact me. I've been through it all with the help of fantastic advice and postings from Verktyg and others on the forum.

Here's are shots of mine when I first got here, and two years later with a ton of touch-ups and a few upgrades.

Welcome to the club!

Likes For NOLA Sekai 4K: