Old 08-01-21, 10:47 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I just ordered some new tires. Didn't go with Continental, just because of the reputation of how hard it is to get on and off the rim. A friend has them on one of his bikes, said even with a tire bead jack it was very difficult to mount the tires. Doesn't sound like fun if had to repair or replace a tube while on a ride. Seems that Continental would be aware of this. Is there a reason why their tires must fit so tight, that they won't change. Seems like it could be done, and would result in increased sales. Whaddaya think?
Tight-fitting tires are good if you have a flat at speed. They won't come off the rim and flop around. I assume this is why Continentals are the way they are.

I'd suggest thinner rim tape, and to keep working on your technique. The old advice was to start at the valve when mounting the beads and finish on the opposite side -- when you're mounting the second bead, try starting opposite the valve and finishing at the valve. This gives a little more slack when you need it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: