Old 11-14-13, 03:09 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
Thanks - I've been thinking about tubeless. My factory spec wheels are tubeless-ready, but I haven't made the switch because I have a few un-answered and admittedly un-asked questions:

- What if you get a really bad puncture - how easy / hard is it to do roadside repairs?

- Seems to me that pumping up a tubeless from scratch is a challenge..?

- What about weight and rolling resistance? I ride 23s pumped to 120 (!!) to hopefully enhance speed, and simply don't worry too much about comfort. I do that on short rides (like 15km TTs) as well as long rides (like rando rides and a 300-mile / 20-hour race).

Incidentally - 2 years ago, my LBS was talking everyone into tubeless. They've changed their tune, though, and are back into clinchers. Next time I'm there, I'll ask them what was behind that change of heart.
Well I imagine there are a few issues...

Big hole that sealant won't fix, you would just pop a tube in, the downside is that the tires are incredibly hard to put on. Some of the manufacturers have worked on this, apparently hutchison has a new hand friendly tire. I will say that at the fondo I was speaking of there were no less than 30 people on the side of the gravel road working on punctures whereas I was hunky dory.

Weight of tire is definitely a factor for some, and I definitely wouldn't use them during race or TT but many do. The Bontrager R3 tubeless is not much heavier than 220g so that is pretty light, add the sealant and it's a tiny bit heavier but no tube takes out about 55g too! Still some of the rims are heavier and some are not.

Price of tire is certainly a challenge but for me it's totally been worthwhile and new tires are hitting the marketplace at more affordable rates.

I think many people and shops drank the Kool Aid a few years back and the wheels/tires simply didn't deliver well, but the newer generation certainly seems to. I have used my floor pump to pump up my tires with no problems, but I have heard that it helps to seat the tires with a compressor first.

I'd say that they have been the single largest differentiator in ride quality and cornering for me but some of that certainly comes from the wider rim as well. When I upgrade to the November Rail (hopefully sometime in my near future), I've read that they have been set up tubeless, if that's the case I'll probably give it a try.