View Single Post
Old 03-16-23, 11:56 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
I finally managed to ride a few kilometres today on this 1970 TDF. I did a separate thread on it last year though final assembly and adjustments were just recently done. Using 25mm Vittoria tubulars for now but have some Challenge Stradas I will mount at some point. This TDF was owned by a collector who might have swapped out all of the original components for mostly Japanese from around the early '70's, they were all new and never used and the condition of the paint and decals suggests it was stored for many years.

The only original parts left are the Stronglight P3 headset, bottom bracket bearing cups,and brake cables but the housings are a bit worse for wear so looking into correct replacements. At least the bike still looks good with mostly French parts. Due to future gearing changes I opted for a Shimano Crane rear derailleur. Dia Compe centerpulls, Suntour front derailleur and shifters are all that remain from the original swap. Nice riding, very stable - rides hands free with ease but would be even better with 28mm tires, I doubt 32mm would fit due to clearance issues under fork crown.

Last edited by VintageRide; 03-17-23 at 12:29 AM.