View Single Post
Old 02-27-18, 10:20 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Thanks all

MSN, I thought of that for my seatpost bag too, it looks like an old school front rack hoop that goes over the wheel to stabilize the bags. I think it would do the job for a seatpost bag. I know Portland Design Works makes a similar product called the Bindle rack.
I was thinking that if I ever wanted to do a trip with only the rear saddle bag (like my Long Flap), no panniers or rack below it, that I would fabricate something like that bikepacker had. But I was thinking using two clamps on the seatpost (the bike I would put it on has a lot of exposed seatpost). One clamp would have an Aluminum bar stock hoop, the other would have two short pieces of bar stock hanging below it to the hoop for support. Using clamps on the seatpost (narrow clamps) and thin flexible Aluminum bar stock would make it kind of flimsy as far as side to side motion goes, but with a classic styled saddle bag, they usually do not sway side to side. All they really need is more support from the bottom.

I saw this link a few days ago, someone was trying to fabricate a bikepacking saddle harness support rack.
DIY (Seatpack-) Rack

But that would require welding, etc. I can't remember the last time I had my buzz box out, so I am not thinking anything that fancy. Plus, that still hangs from the saddle for support.