View Single Post
Old 04-26-22, 05:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
The military have a saying that no plan survives its first contact with the enemy. I have a policy that 'bicycle' and 'schedule' should never be used in the same sentence, probably not even in the same chapter. Also, I find that I enjoy being in a new place, not just zooming through it. As a result, I try to set an objective, and also have a bailout option or two, in case of rain, headwinds, etc. Sometimes, rarely, it even works out the other way around and I end up going farther than I planned. I also camp a lot, so I can set up my tent for lodging where evening overtakes me, again, rarely.
Thus, I'll spend time with maps and list all the campgrounds and inns, motels, B&Bs, etc. and have a list of check downs if progress precludes achieving my original objective for the day. I also try to read as many descriptions of other people's trips on that route as I can find to get a sense of where to stay, and where to avoid.
Very well said.

Since I often pick locales for bike touring that are remote and far from the beaten path, I also try to find the major grocery store chain stores in the area and put their store locations into my GPS as waypoints so I can find them later. But, most common bike tour locations have good grocery store options, thus for most people this is not necessary.