View Single Post
Old 03-28-22, 11:08 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The stresses will be concentrated along the sides too. But if you don't weld the ends it will be a little more compliant, because the gusset can bend along its width (oil canning) at its own rate. So it probably does avoid a little bit of cracking. One of the more vocal anti-gusset builders* was last seen looking for information on how to add gussets because his personal frame broke pretty easily. But he was testing it on 8 foot drops to flat. So if you do jumps like that, a gusset probably will help. Failure in rupture is worse than fatigue failures. Don't know if he ever added gussets, I get turned off by his "only I know how to do things right" attitude.

*he always said that gussets just show the frame where to crack, which is probably true.
This has a PVD vibe to it. Those super slack head tube angles do improve the attack angle for the front wheel in forward motion, but it greatly increases the leverage on the HT/DT joint when landing flat. I don't think this type of gusset is going to help him.