View Single Post
Old 05-25-23, 02:18 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
There's a lot of statin hate on the interwebs. Since this thread just started, I confidently predict you'll see at least two dozen statin-hating posts here in the next two weeks.

My PCP suggested putting me on a statin a while back. I thought about all the side effects I'd read about, and declined. 18 months later, I had a cardiac "event." Fast forward a few years, and I had nasty leg pains, so I browbeat my cardiologist into changing my atorvastatin to rosuvastatin; 9 months later, the leg pain came back, and it was a ruptured disk. Obviously I'm not a good guesser about such things.

One thing I do know is that my statins cost me about $5/month. Multiply that by 100 people and 2.5 years, it cost $15,000 to prevent an "event" like mine. My total billings for ambulance, ER, doctors, hospital stay, and rehab were about $238,000. I guess that's why health insurance is happy to pay for statins.

Edited to add:
If you want real medical information, talk to your (your wife's) doctor. If you want anecdotes, this is the right place!

Last edited by pdlamb; 05-25-23 at 02:24 PM.
Likes For pdlamb: