View Single Post
Old 07-30-14, 02:06 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Gary while you may be incorrect about Orange is the New Black, you are correct here I think:

Originally Posted by gsteinb
the thing that people seem to miss is that when we're talking 'sprinters' there's a whole class of sprinter who would crush them in a sprint. Cavendish isn't the cycling equivalent of Bolt. Pro road sprinters are guys with really awesome fast twitch, and massive FTPs. It's the reason why there are cases where guys can do both, win a hilly RR or some stage race and win field sprints. Sagan, Jalabert. Chris Hoy probably can't pedal up my driveway.

I came back to the sport after an 8 year lay off and won sprints with a modicum of fitness. But I was winning sprints as a kid racing BMX, and I played forward in soccer for 15 years or so. Plus all the body building where I always had huge legs, much bigger than most guys. it was just there. Now most racing doesn't work where the low fitness sprinter guy wins. even field sprints in harder races tend to be the guy with the best fitness (or five minute power) to get into position and stay there. We've had this argument before here. Positioning trumps most things in a sprint, and FTP and 5 minute power (along with smarts) is that which puts you there. You can have the best jump in creation, but if you're going from the back, or gassed from trying to hold position you're not going to win.
Didn't want it to get lost with the old thread.

my race videos