Old 11-07-23, 12:57 PM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Thanks for mentioning the Shockster---never heard of it. In fact, most people have probably never heard of it, so it's not surprising that they're not talking about it.

It's been out of production for many years. Here's one review I found (in fairness, the evaluation is based on its use off-road rather than with a touring bike):

"STRENGTH:Turns a hardtail into a F/S bike - NOT!

WEAKNESS:Adds 3lbs. weight to rear of bike and 3" of wheelbase, resulting in a heavy, sluggish-handling hardtail.

Put this on various steel and alu hardtails at the bike shop and riding them back in the day. On the trail the added weight of the Shockster (all over the rear wheel, btw) radically alters the balance and center of gravity, making climbing a real chore. The longer wheelbase caused by adding the Shockster results in a sluggish steering bike that is a bear on singletrack. Travel I found nowhere near claimed (3 inches). Full-suspension bikes are so much better balanced, and handle so much better it is a crime to compare them to this thing. The shop carried them for a year, I think we sold one - I think. Originally listed at $329, they were almost giving them away at the end. Zero chilis for this dog of a product."
People on bentrideronline are quite happy with it. They say they don't need anything better for rear suspension and are thankful that Shockster was still popular in 2022. It's also said to be less affected by chain tension due to being restricted to vertical movement only, unlike swing arm suspension with circular movement. Increased wheelbase is the main benefit they say.