View Single Post
Old 07-14-21, 10:29 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I have continued with the intermittent fasting doing training rides with little to no food in my stomach - road and track workouts.

I had my annual with my cardiologist a couple of weeks ago. She is a runner and bases her practice around athletes, diet, exercise and etc. She does her morning run before work on 6 ounces of coffee and an empty stomach. She claims that our digestive system and supporting energy systems are not designed for constant caloric intake. We perform much better when we include fasting in the diet and do not eat too much. She is skinny but looks amazing for her age. N=1.

I like her because she is one of the few docs that can read my echo and and listen to my heart think it is great for me as an athlete.

Skinny and fasted = good.
I had my annual physical last week and my Dr. ordered in EKG because my HR was 40bpm (this was via the SPO2 meter sitting up, it as 38bpm on the EKG when I was lying down), as compared to near 50bpm I had the last two years. He was concerned it was firing and missing beats, but the EKG looked a-ok.
Re: fasting, I do try to skip breakfast giving me a 16-18 hr fast a couple days a week. Maybe I should make that a more regular thing. My weight has been ticking up slightly from 166 to 167-8. My only races left this year are flat raceway track circuit, and a couple crits so I'm OK with a couple extra pounds, but maybe I'll try to get back to 165-6 for CX season.
Likes For cmh: