Old 08-24-21, 11:21 AM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It is true that I really don't know what my limit may be for calorie intake. So, I might go a little lite on the scoops. 5 'scoops' would reduce it to 285 calories and 71.5g of carbs per bottle. I might be tempted to do at least 6 scoops and hope for the best. I'm getting this Skratch in tomorrow. I could actually mix a full 7 scoop bottle and go for an hour ride between now and Saturday just to see how I feel about it. I know that's not ideal, but I've really only caught on recently that these carb loaded drink mixes were a thing that you could do with cycling.

It is expensive. Looks like it works out to about $5 per bottle. The way I look at it though - for an event it is worth it to me. I am forced to spend like $2.50 for a soda if I stop at a convenience store while out driving. $5 for a scientifically formulated carb drink during an event is 1,000% worth it compared to that. I wouldn't drink this stuff during 'training' miles. It lightens the load of what fuel I have to bring in my pockets tremendously for an event where I am aiming to get as streamlined as possible.

I've even been on the search for cheaper alternatives to my usual Cliff Bars and Jelly Belly Sport Beans. That's what led me to the Nature's Bakery products. I just picked up two 24 serving boxes for under $8 each (Sam's pricing - $7.33) on those for my 'training' miles and events too if I like. Those things work out to like 31 cents each vs like $1 for Jelly Belly/Cliff Bars.

The 'plan' that I posted isn't set in stone. Just my initial thoughts on it. I might bring more of the gels. I know I can tolerate the Jelly Belly Beans pretty well and the Nature's Bakery products have been pretty easy to digest. So, there's no worries with those. I hate to rely too much on the gels until the end.

I would just like to have more than enough fuel with me so I don't have to wrestle for it at the aid stations and you never know what you might find at those. Talk about trying something new on event day that you haven't used before. I've seen it all at these type of events. They were serving charcoal grilled cheeseburgers - big fat home-style ones - at one event I attended. It was like the 80+ mile mark aid station and people were falling out from the extreme heat index. It almost made me puke to think about eating one of those big fat burgers at that stage of the ride. I know they meant well. It was a volunteer fire department gesture or something of that nature. Wow, though. That was not very well guided. I feel sorry for anyone who decided to eat one of them without realizing how brutal that could be.