View Single Post
Old 12-02-21, 08:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
obviously you understand that everyone has awkward proportions? My inseam is 46% of my total height which isn't wildly disproportionate, but I certainly do feel that is messes with my bike fit a bit. I also have very long arms which makes things a bit more complicated still as my torso is relatively shorter, but I need extra space for my arms to stretch out anyways.
I have a very similar build ... if anything, more extreme. What you might want to try (If you really have the build you claim) is an unusually short top tube and stem, with less seat-bar drop.

It seems to some that your long arms balance the short torso, but it is all about mass and center of balance, and if the bike has a lot of reach you will feel what you feel---you are reaching forward, your pelvis tilts a little too much which makes you want to lower the nose of the saddle, which pitches you further forward and hurts your hands and arms, and since you are too bent and reaching too far with the center of gravity too far forward it hits your lower back, particularly if you pedal hard and use all the hip muscles while riding.

I will find pics of my bikes eventually---you will see lots of spacers and short, up-angled stems on them, and purists might want low, flat stems slammed to the headset, but I don't care. I have experimented constantly to find what works For Me. I am the one riding the bike.

I also tend to have my saddle a little further back---some people move the saddle forward to compensate for long frames and stems. This is a fundamental misunderstanding of physics and anatomy.

I want my weight over and a little behind my legs, with my legs holding up most of my weight. If the weight is too far forward---even a cm or two---it can put too much load on the arms, and instead of your stomach and back supporting your torso over your hips, you make your spine into a big suspension bridge anchored by the arms up front and the lower back in back, which means every motion cranks the lower back at a sharper angle, while there is also a tendency to lock the elbows which transmits even more force to the junction of the spine and pelvis.

I like to have my weight held up mostly by my legs so my spine isn't heavily loaded at the front (shoulders) and it can flex along its whole length to absorb shock because it isn't starting out overloaded with a rigid connection at each end.

I have tried a bunch of set ups and eventually gravitated t one which most people call "wrong" because it doesn't look like how the World Tour riders ride.

I am not a world-tour rider. I have ridiculously long arms and legs and a tiny torso, and I am not a trained athlete. I set up my bikes to fit Me. I kept tweaking until I found what worked for me.
Originally Posted by Moisture
The bottom bracket is 267mm, which like I said will cause striking around turns even with 175mm arms. No way I'm going longer than that.
Ummmm .... yeah, learn to ride a bike, would be the specific advice others have given you to help resolve that problem.

You are in effect saying, "My car is so wide that I drive into things." Don't drive into places it doesn't fit. Not exactly the science of the rocket.

If your pedal strikes while cornering, don't pedal at the max lean angle. Not exactly the surgery of the brain.

Seriously, do you think you corner as aggressively as say, Crit racers? Do you think they all use 135-mm cranks or something?

If you keep hitting things ... stop- hitting things.
Likes For Maelochs: