View Single Post
Old 09-07-21, 05:58 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
My personal opinion would favor the Marin bike. Not because of the disc brakes, but because of the shifter. The Marin has the rapid fire shifter, where as the Reid has the grip shift Revo shifter.

Now, others may say otherwise, but I haven't had good experience with the Revo shifter. It was on my daughters bike and it was really hard to shift for me let alone a young girl at the time. Her current bike has the rapid fire shifters and it's much easier to use.

Honestly, I think you need to stick with that bike shop. Sounds to me like they are really able to help you out and you won't get that from Amazon.

I like the red on the Marin bike...but that green color on the Reid is really nice. I think you would get your money's worth though with the Marin.

Edit: OH and another thing I just noticed. The Marin has a more modern cassette, where as the Reid has an older freewheel. In the future when these two wear out, the cassette will be easier to find and replace. Or to upgrade should you want. The reid's crankset has a 42 tooth chainring. That is a great if you like going faster, but if your not fast, the smaller 38 tooth chainring on the Marin would be more comfortable to ride and better to ride up the hills with.

Last edited by travbikeman; 09-07-21 at 06:06 PM.
Likes For travbikeman: