Old 11-28-21, 07:25 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
for fitment, would you say the domane runs bigger or smaller in frame size? I've had other types of 62s feel like a 60s & have had 58s feel like 62s. It was a factor of stem/stack/lean & crank arms lengths that caused it to feel different than advertised.
Pay attention to the sizing chart for the Domane on Trek's web site. Domanes are typically very "tall" in the front as they are endurance bikes. My last Domane 56cm frame had a head tube that was just as tall as the 58cm frame on a different bike.

That aside, my use-case is just like yours (90% road, 10% gravel) and I absolutely love my 2020 Domane SL7. The stock width 700x32c tires are plenty wide to handle whatever the road throws at me, including gravel. I do have a second wheelset with a much more aggressive tire, but I've found they are quite overkill for the packed gravel trails I ride on. The Checkpoint is certainly a nice ride as well, but I'd only go that route if the majority of your riding was on gravel, off-road, or you required a lot of attachment mounts for bags. The Checkpoint would allow for wider tires than the Domane, but it doesn't sound like you need to go mega-wide with your tires.

My gravel wheels are the stock Bontrager 3V wheels with Specialized Pathfinder Pro tires (700x38) and my road wheels are Light Bicycle with Continental GP 5000 TL (700x32). Both wheelsets are setup tubeless.

Likes For PoorInRichfield: