Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 08-10-22, 07:04 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Bob, I don't see why you had to touch the tire due to the broken spoke. Why not simply remove the broken spoke, replace, and re-use the same nipple?

The only time I had to do as you describe was once I was out of town and broke a French-threaded Robergel Trois Etoiles spoke on a tubular wheel. Finding a French-threaded replacement spoke to fit the nipple was impossible. I called around every shop in the area and was repeatedly told me there was no such thing as French-threaded spokes, but I knew otherwise. Still, I did have to pull up a small bit of the tire to install a new spoke & nipple until I got home and was able to put in a matching French replacement spoke. A good reason not to tour on wheels with French-threaded spokes I suppose.
I have a similar "French" challenge. The wheel in question is a rear Roval and I actually broke two spokes on the drive side when the RD decided to come loose from the hanger and was sucked (with the chain) into the spokes at about 15mph. Since the broken spokes were about 100 degrees separated, I decided to remove the tire and tape completely.

The original spokes seem to be unobtanium. They are straight pull, bladed, and have a unique head and 1.8mm threaded unique nipple. As best I know, the Roval nipples must be used with the Roval rims.

I've not been able to find any compatible replacements. I've attempted to modify a similar modern spoke and had success with re-shaping the head. However, it is threaded 2.0 mm. I tapped the nipple to 2.0mm but the nipple refuses to thread onto the spoke. I tried to cut new threads on the spoke, but with no luck. Frustrated, I set the project to the side in May, and have been busy moving south ever since.

Modified spoke head on left next to original Roval spoke on right.

The unique Roval nipple.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com