Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 08-11-22, 11:21 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by obuckler
thanks. Yes I forgot that. I have some wood clamps that will work well!
My first flat since returning to sewups was a slow one, just fast enough to make the tire useless. I could clamp the tire behind the valve in my smooth jawed bench vise and walk the circumference with the wood clamp I've been needing an excuse to buy. (When my project list is down to where I can spare a day or two on the vise.)

Second flat - a roofing nail clear through the tire twice (and I am sure the tube also) and through the rim bed! (Deep rim so it didn't reach the inside TG.) First road ride ever on that wheel. Velodrome wheel picked up cheap of unknown history. From Bike Central owner's stash of velodrome wheels and rims; the shop having been closed for years and the velodrome (Alpenrose) now gone.

In that stash, a gem. Gold pair of Miche double sided track hubs, Gel330s, butted, tie and soldered spokes. Warmup (and showcase) wheels for the Nats for a woman I consider a sister. (We share fights back from injury to racing form. Also the best ally I've ever had for getting odd fix gear parts.) These wheels are literally gems. Absolutely beautiful and perfect. Built by the best. Neatest tie and solder I've ever seen. They have track rubber now but will get Corsa Speeds when it's time. Get re-spaced to 126 with a touch of dish and go on my freshly painted Mooney for very special occasions. My first ride will be the first time those rims have ever seen brakes. And every ride, I'll think of Jen.
Likes For 79pmooney: