Old 08-15-22, 10:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
It would make more sense if the Varia gives a rear-facing notice to drivers to "Please pass safely".
I think most cyclists treat the Varia as a surrogate bully driver. When it beeps, they get out of the way of the car.
I have never felt like my Varia is a bully. I quite enjoy it notifying me of cars passing when I am on gravel since I am usually out in the middle of the road where the best line is. I can move over as the car approaches and the car is able to safely pass with both the drive and me happy. Nothing really bullying about that.
And when I am riding with friends on quiet country roads, I like it because I can pull up alongside them and talk, then slide back if needed when a car approaches from behind. Again, not bullying.

I largely ignore the Varia if I have it on while riding in town. Too many cars to rally care about- I just ride in a straight line and dont change anything about how I ride when cars approach.