Old 08-23-21, 08:25 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
You should generally be able to keep up the pace at 53, but lots of things can get out of whack as you age that will throw wrench in that plan.

When I was your age (just about 53) I noticed I was getting chronically tired. For about a year I assumed it was just "old age". But a friend of mine was recently diagnosed as celiac and I compared symptoms and I had many of the same things. So I went on a gluten-free diet and the fatigue .. stopped!

I doubt celiac disease is what your problem is, but there are many conditions that can take a big bite out of your energy. And they can be very hard to figure out. I never, ever would have solved my problem if I had relied on my doctor (who completely pooh-poohed the idea). More recently I had some back problems and this also led to fatigue (tingling+numbness+fatigue). That one at least had a clear symptom and PT pretty much solved it. By then I had ditched my previous doc, and the new doc was really on top of it.

Many other good suggestions to check out are mentioned above. I personally know people with lyme and low testosterone who also hit a fatigue wall. Look into all the ideas mentioned above, research more online, make a list of potential ones to consider and take them to your doc. Don't forgot that you are your best advocate .. don't just sit and wait for your doc to solve your problem, it might never happen.

Last edited by scottfsmith; 08-23-21 at 08:29 PM.