Old 05-16-22, 08:34 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
but I look forward to seeing the wheel you put together.
Selecting the hub might be the hardest art of the wheel, and the bike project overall; hopefully between this topic and perhaps others before I need to commit — my plans are for this winter — I will know enough to make a good choice. And, as always these days, this presumes that my chosen hub is actually available!

This bike is a 1974 Falcon that was gifted to me by a childhood friend; he had bought it new. Mish-mash of components, 531 tubing, Campy dropouts. As part of my five-bike “project”, the frame is now stripped and powder-coated and fresh decals. There’s a topic around somewhere I had stared 1.5 years ago before I finally realized I cannot do five bikes over one winter ($$$).

The goal is my particular take on a British “fast tourer” but I am not following any particular rules. Dropped bars (I need get bars and stem), Brooks B17 in Honey and handlebar tape & cable housing, etc., in colors to compliment that (frame is bright red). Plan to reuse the original 50.4mm BCD Nervar cranks, repurposed for single 1/8” chainring. Front hub is a hi-flange Campy Record track hub I already have; I figure aesthetically the flange size might (very) roughly approximate the IGH on the rear. 700C is planned but I might rethink 650B. Frame has room for 700Cx30mm tires, I know as I very briefly had the bike up and running with a set of those on it… but what’s the max I can run if I want fenders? Unknown at this time. Unsure on brakes but I do have some old Campys here. Type an location of shifter is also a future decision.

Anyway, everything depends on the rear hub.

Likes For tiger1964: