Thread: Unicycle?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-22, 09:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
The linked hub bearing clamps look more substantial then the usual stamped steel ones then the common/low cost unicycles use. This is good.

I have thought about making my own unicycle for years. I bought a hub and bearing unit a long time ago but never took the next step. One trick I thought of to insure wheel alignment was to have the blades two different sections of tubing. The .058" wall with .125" smaller tube as a sliding fit thing. Join one blade completely and slide the other about till the rim is centered. Then join that blade. The smaller tube would be joined to the bearing clamp. The .058 walled and .125" larger diameter tube joined to the "crown". Of course this means a segmented crown. I'll also suggest that the bigger the post is in diameter the better it will stay put (without drilling for a bolt through the "steerer" and post). Consider slotting the "steerer" in two places and using a split collar to secure the post. Andy