Thread: Cyclist Beware
View Single Post
Old 03-25-24, 11:49 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5840 Post(s)
Liked 2,675 Times in 1,490 Posts
Almost 60 years and close to a quarter million miles riding the "dangerous streets of NYC (before bike lanes), the Metro NY area, and (mostly) the Northeast USA, and so far so good. In my opinion, the real enemy lies within. It's not that the streets or drivers are inherently dangerous, but the failure of cyclists to adapt to conditions and do what's necessary to keep themselves safe.

Of course things could be better, but they're not, and won't be for a long time. Moreover, even as we build out infrastructure, we'll still have to share roads on various stretches. Also, comparisons to Europe are problematic, because the distances are so non-comparable. Americans, for many reasons, typically travel much farther daily for work, school, and shopping than Europeans do, so our transportation needs are different.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: