Old 06-14-19, 05:55 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Anyone made a commitment to live car free?
Originally Posted by Alligator
I’m changing jobs again soon, and I’ll be working 10 miles from home. I’ve biked the distance many times in the past, and can commute to work in 40-45 minutes. However, I’ve never biked to work every day of the week, all year round.

Winter here will be challenging, but I’ve ridden in the winter before. I’m thinking of making a commitment to myself to try biking 100% of the time to work to start my car-free living.

Have you ever made a commitment to yourself (or someone else) which caused you to become car free? If so, did you make it? If not, what caused you to fail?
Originally Posted by Bandera
No, although I have commuted a good many miles over decades by bicycle I live in the real world where such "commitments" are just simply hair-shirted nonsense.
Originally Posted by Bandera
Goals to ride the bike are good, "commitments" are for something serious instead.
Good luck with that, have fun and use common sense

How bad could that be, and you won't need a Hair-Shirt but full fenders are a good idea. .
I have previously posted,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think we can agree that LCF, as discussed above is mostly a lifestyle choice (excepting circumstances like poverty, revocation of driver’s license…).

When I was asked while living in Boston a few years before starting my career ,“Where would you like to live?.” my criteria were living near a big body of water, and the ability to live without a car as I had been much of my earlier two-plus decades; and I was already an avid cyclist….

I learned to love the water from the Great Lakes in [my native] Michigan, and the Atlantic Ocean in Boston. I vaguely considered my ambition not as “Car Free," per se, but a lifestyle choice. Through certain life circumstances I was already primed to be Car Free.

Fortunately I found a happy career here in Boston, and Living Car Free then became easy.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-14-19 at 06:02 PM.