wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Do you wonder why that is the case? Just how many teenagers and young adults have you convinced and/or converted?
OK - I'll admit that 'convincing' is too strong. 'Demonstrating' is more apt - it is not as though I am producing long arguments or emotional rhetoric extolling the virtues of my transportation methods. If people ask, I talk to them; if they don't, it's not my business how they move around. 'Demonstrating' has recently convinced two young people (that I know of.)

I do, however, wonder why teenagers and young adults are resistant to giving other transportation methods a try, including cycling as well as walking and transit. I have observed the following among individuals in this demographic whom I personally know: driving without a license to destinations less than a mile away; missing school due to lack of a car (although several buses conveniently service the school); and running out of money for food in order to pay for Uber rides to destinations serviced by transit and/or less than a mile away. Again, I do not judge peoples' lifestyle choices, as I prefer they not judge mine. I simply find some choices odd.
Likes For wipekitty: