View Single Post
Old 08-10-21, 04:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,854 Times in 3,003 Posts
Originally Posted by kfried
The power increase is mostly there, and the RPE feels easier. But my heart rate data has basically returned to the previously expected range for a given power output. Right now I kind of feel caught between gears. One gear is slightly too easy and one gear is slightly too hard. I didn't have that perception before, so it might be a combination of the new frameset and a fresh clean/install of everything as well as just fitness gains. In the end....it's complicated. But this thread has been really helpful in checking off potential issues as well as shaping my thinking on how these things are related. Thanks!
In this case you can rule out everything south of your crank arm where you are actually measuring your power output. It doesn't matter how much your frame flexes, or how clean your drivetrain is, or how much friction there is in your hubs. Power measured at the crank arm remains the same. It is not that complicated really. You might see some slight variation if your position on the new bike has improved (different saddle height, offset, reach etc). But if that's all very similar then you have simply got fitter with the combination of training and rest. Plus a bit of "new bike" motivation, which is not to be under-estimated! The only other possibility is that re-calibrating your power meter may have simply changed the readings from earlier. How often did you re-calibrate the power meter on your old bike? IME they are usually pretty consistent, but it is something to consider.
Likes For PeteHski: